Monday, November 30, 2009

It's important, while we're here, to remember to live life one day at a time.

Later on in our journeys, we will be consumed with our significant others, our kids, our jobs...but right now is one of the few times in our lives we can return home at the end of the day and shut our minds off.

I see this in my own life this week. I've got a friend coming in from Texas on Wednesday night who will stay for a few hours before turning around and leaving again. A new class at a new university beginning on Thursday night. And a Christmas party with the new co-workers on Saturday night.

Are these things to prepare for? Absolutely. Print out driving directions, figure out itineraries. But worry about? There wouldn't be any point. I can only really control what's right in front of me this moment, and (partially) what paths I choose to take, which will affect the future.

To abandon the present moment in a vain effort to keep pushing forward would be to sacrifice both the present and the future. Let's always remember to be completely where we are.

No comments:

Post a Comment